Thursday, April 30, 2015

Strawberries and Biscuits… a recipe…

Dear Country Mouse,

Today I realized strawberries taste like springtime. I was making salad at the pie-truck, our seasonal salad which is  made up of mixed baby greens, candied walnuts and bright, red sliced strawberries, when I couldn't help but pop a slice in my mouth. We did the same salad last year for as long as decent strawberries held out and then moved on to autumn and winter fruits. Later on when winter was gearing up for spring I cheated—impatient me—I couldn't wait and started our strawberry salad before the season was abundant. I should have waited. This morning as I sneaked that slice of strawberry, I tasted true, brilliant, vibrant flavor so different and so much more definable than it's cardboard counterpart that I had been wasting my time with. My tongue shouted SPRING. And, the best part, we aren't even onto my favorite variety yet. I like the little button-like strawberries, so almost pungent and deeply determined to carry through.  With a quick cut of the stem, the whole berry gets added to the salad. 




So Dear Country Mouse, we should have strawberry short cake soon. I have truly found a wonderful biscuit recipe, it has been honed over this years time, and after three hundred and fifty-five  days of making biscuits, I do want to share it with you.

Biscuit Recipe (copyrighted Paiku 2015)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit

In a food processor pulse, or if you don't have one simply combine: 
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder

Slice then add and pulse until resembles crumbs (or if using your hands crumble with your fingers until it looks like a coarse crumb-like texture)
12 tablespoons cold butter


Add and pulse until combined:
1 + 1/2 cups sour cream

Add and pulse until combined:
1/2 cup water

Press into a one-inch thick rectangle and cut into twelve equal squares.
Place on a buttered cookie-sheet. Bake at 375 for ten minutes, rotate pan and bake ten more.


Hope you are well and write soon!!!

Love,
   City Mouse


   XXOO

No comments:

Post a Comment