Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spring Lamb

Dear City Mouse,
I so desperately need to sneak away for a hike. I miss living in the mountains, with a creek up the road. 

Every time I was upset, I would run out the door and straight to the creek. I would put my feet in the water. No matter how upset I've ever been, the water always washed it away.

I hadn't noticed the doll looked like my dad. When I made it, I was trying to make it look like I imagined my grandfather looked, 20 years before he died. I haven't seen him for 28 years. I guess I did a good job imagining what he might have looked like if you saw my fading him.

I miss all of their generation. They would all get together for holidays, at my grandparents house. My grandmother would put out all her fancy white linens, and set the table with her finest china.
They would all tell stories, laugh, sing, and argue about politics.

My cousins and sister would play under the table, on their soft white carpet.
We would put a black olive on each finger, and chase each other pretending to be monsters.

I once told my mom I wished I had known my grandfather as an adult.
I then said, "maybe it's better though, that way he would always be perfect, the way kids view people before they see their imperfections." My mom replied, " honey, your Zadie was perfect, he really was just as sweet caring, unselfish and courageous as you remember him."
I was 11 when he died, and 9 when he'd lost his mind to Alzheimer's. 
I still wish I could ask them all so many things. 

On a less dramatic note, I got to hang out with Barbara's kids today. They chased the cats, fed the tortoise and made me laugh often.

Recently I made a little needle felted lamb. He looks right at home in the springy clover. If I get another wind of energy I'm going to start on another character for my book.

I hope you have a lovely weekend, sell lots of yummy pie, and laugh often.

Love, Country Mouse

No comments:

Post a Comment